January/February 1999’s block was a 16 inch “Flower Garden”
The finished block measures 16 inches square (16 1/2 inches unfinished).
Instructions: Use springtime colors, with a white background.
Use good quality, 100% cotton fabrics and prewash your fabrics.
From a springtime color, cut one 2 1/2 inch square.
- From a springtime color, cut four 2 1/2 inch squares.
- From a springtime color, cut eight 2 1/2 inch squares.
- From a springtime color, cut twelve 2 1/2 inch squares.
- Cut thirty-nine white 2 1/2 inch squares.
- Join these squares in strips of eight.
You can strip piece each row by stacking the colors in piles, then adding a square to each row.
- Sew completed strips together to form the block.
- Your completed block will measure 16 1/2 inches.
- Sixteen inches after sewn into a quilt!
- This is a scrap quilt and is very easy to sew. The solid row of white squares at the top and right side of the block serves as a dividing strip between the blocks.
Back to Block of the Month