The block for January 2006 is the "Variable Star" block
Each finished block measures 15 inches square. (15 ½ X 15 ½ inches unfinished).
Instructions: Use good quality, 100% cotton pre-washed fabrics.
Select a tone-on-tone or looks-like-solid-from-a-distance dark red print, a small-print floral with red in it, and a cream fabric for the background.
1. From the red fabric, cut twelve 3 1/2-inch squares.
2. Also from the red fabric, cut two 3 7/8-inch squares
and two 4 1/4-inch
3. From the cream fabric, cut four
3 1/2 x 9 1/2-inch rectangles and two 3 7/8-inch squares.
4. From the floral fabric, cut one 3 1/2-inch square and two 4 1/4-inch squares.
6. For each of the side sections, do the
7. Repeat with the right side of the rectangle. Press to the red side and you will end up with a red/cream rectangle like in graphic 7.
8. Sew the short side of each of the floral
triangles to the opposite short side of a red triangle.
Referring to the layout in graphic 9, piece the Ohio Square center unit
together. Sew the rows together, then combine the rows to finish
the block. Pin at the intersections again.
Your completed unfinished block will measure 15 ½ inches.