July 2003’s block is a "Courthouse Steps" pattern
The block measures 10 inches square. (10 ½ X 10 ½ inches unfinished).
Instructions: Use good quality, 100% cotton pre-washed fabrics.
Choose three fabrics... a red, a white, and a navy blue. These can be assembled in any order with any of the 3 colors as the center, inner round, or outer round.
1. From the outer round fabric, cut two 2 1/2 inch by 10 1/2 inch rectangles
and two 2 1/2 inch by 6 1/2 inch rectangles.
2. From the inner round fabric, cut two 2 1/2 inch
by 6 1/2 inch rectangles
3. From the center fabric, cut one 2 1/2 inch square.
4. Let's start from the center on this one. With right sides together and using a 1/4-inch seam allowance, sew the center square to each of the inner-round squares. (see graphic 4)
5. Next, sew the two long inner-round rectangles to the strip created in step four. Match up the long edges of the rectangles to the long edges of the strip. This will form the inner square. (see graphic 5)
6. Sew the two shorter outer-round rectangle pieces to either
side of the center square. Again, match up the long edges of the
rectangles to the sides of the square. (see graphic 6)
7. Finally, sew the two remaining long outer-round rectangle
pieces to the top and bottom of the row created in step 6 to finish assembling
this block. (see graphic 7)
Wasn't that easy???